Japanese Home Cooking
Vegan Japanese Cooking
April 28th 2020 | 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm
About this class
A healthy, vegan introduction to rich flavoured authentic Japanese home cooking using easy accessible ingredients.
There’ll be a focus on specific ingredients such as seaweeds (which are being becoming ever more popular and readily available here) and different types of miso.
“Umami is the key to ensuring flavour is embodied in each dish to create prefect depth of flavour. This is vital for vegetarian and vegan cooking, as it will leave you satisfied and wanting to return for more. Japanese cooking is a perfect fit for a plant-based diet, as there are plentiful ways of inducing flavour without a reliance on meat or fish”
This class is ideal for vegans and vegetarians, or if you are looking for plant-based Japanese dishes, that do not compromise on flavour.
The class is based on Ichijyu-sansai 一汁三菜 which is the traditional style of Japanese meal. It always features a soup, a protein dish and two side dishes with a bowl of rice.
Yuki will teach you how to prepare the core ingredients, make the stock and how to develop umami flavour to ensure satisfaction.
- Kenchin miso soup
- Hijiki Rice
- Cucumber and wakame salad with creamy mustard sauce.
- Green beans and sugar snaps with black sesame sauce
- Tofu Steak with mushroom ginger sauce
- Roast aubergine and cauliflower with Dengaku miso sauce
- Preparing core ingredients, including miso tasting
- Core techniques such as preparing full bodied stocks
- Exploring different types of seaweed and tofu
- Choosing seasonal ingredients and where to buy produce
- Japanese knife skills and preparing the ingredients
- Enjoying the meal we’ve prepared!
- Please add a note when booking your place, to advise of any food preferences or allergies, in advance of the class.
- This is a hands-on class.
- Includes printed copies of all recipes covered.
- Cancellations Policy and T&Cs apply to all bookings.