- This event has passed.
Katsu Curry & Kushi-Age
About this class
Traditionally this dish is eaten at home the night before exams; as the word ‘Katsu’ sounds similar to ‘win’ and so brings luck. In many ways, it is a Japanese street food and Katsu continues it’s rise in popularity here in the UK. Yuki will show you how to prepare these well loved dishes at home, with ease and using ingredients that you can find locally.
“I’ll teach you how to prepare a Japanese curry spice mix and perfect Japanese rice. Alongside this you’ll be learning the method of preparing a light, crunchy panko (Japanese bread crumb) and some salad side dishes. A Japanese cooking class for all Katsu curry lovers!”
Yuki will recommend Japanese grocery suppliers and give you some suggestions for shopping there. You can learn more about the specifics of presenting the dishes and Japanese food culture. By the end you’ll have a meal to enjoy and be ready to cook Katsu Curry for yourself alongside some perfectly paired sides dishes.
- Chicken Katsu Curry, served on a bed of rice
- Kushi-Age: Selection of vegetables & meat with skewered, fried Katsu
- Home-made Tonkatsu sauce
- Seasonal Salad Sides
- Make Chicken Katsu using Panko, which are home made Japanese bread crumbs
- Make Japanese curry sauce from scratch.
- Use raw ingredients and spices to create a “Curry roux”. Based on one of Yuki’s original recipes, with no packeted, pre-made sauces in sight!
- Prepare Japanese steamed rice: Yuki will show you how to make perfect simple Japanese rice, prefect for topping with Katsu.
Make Pork Katsu using Panko.
- Please add a note when booking your place, to advise of any food preferences or allergies, in advance of the class.
- This is a demonstration class
- Includes printed copies of all recipes covered.
- Cancellations Policy and T&Cs apply to all bookings.